The workshop is recommended for teachers and afterschool educators who want to use the middle-grade CryptoClub curriculum to teach cryptography and mathematics in afterschool and enrichment programs. CryptoClub leaders need not be mathematics teachers—just enthusiastic about math. No prior cryptography experience is required.
Participants will learn how to
- teach cryptography in fun and engaging ways
- incorporate middle-school mathematics into the informal learning environment
- use a variety of games, Internet activities, and stories to engage their students
Participants will also
- meet other teachers and afterschool leaders from around the country
- hear from people with experience teaching cryptography in a variety of different settings
- experience the joys of Chicago in the summertime
Participants will receive the CryptoClub books, including the CryptoClub Cipher Handbook for use during the workshop and the CryptoClub Leader Manual for use in leading their own Cryptoclubs.
$150.00, which includes breakfast and lunch each day. The workshops are partially supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation.
June 27-29, 2017
8:00am - 4:00pm, Days 1 and 2
8:00am - 2:00pm, Day 3
University of Chicago
Chicago Theological Seminary
1407 East 60th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
Free parking is usually available on nearby streets. There is also a free University parking lot on the corner of 60th and Stoney Island.